- Full content & line editing or proofreading
- Includes imbedded instructional comments
Note: You must either have Microsoft Word or access to Microsoft Word, OR
you must agree to a straight edit with no explanatory comments during or after the edit.
The first step: a free sample edit
To get started, send your complete manuscript via email as an attachment in MS Word (.docx, .doc, or .rtf) to Harvey@harveystanbrough.com.
A sample edit is a full, complete edit of a few pages. I’ll get your sample edit back to you usually the same day. If I believe your manuscript needs a Full Edit (some don’t) and if I’m interested, I’ll offer to edit for you at a low per-word fee. I’m extremely good at what I do. I won’t offer a service your manuscript doesn’t need.
A full edit consists of both line editing (punctuation, spelling, grammar, sentence structure, etc.) and content editing. Because I strive to preserve the writer’s voice, I seldom do any rewriting; instead, I imbed comments containing recommendations. To keep my prices low, I provide a full edit only for those manuscripts I would like to read personally. To increase the chance that your manuscript will be one of those, please follow these brief guidelines:
- Novel, memoir or short fiction collections only, please
- Absolutely NO present-tense narrative, regardless of genre or which fad is currently in fashion
- Absolutely NO rough drafts (e.g., manuscripts replete with spelling errors, comma splices and/or run-on sentences
- I reserve the right to reject any job or any manuscript for any reason.
1. When I accept a manuscript for editing, it goes into a queue. I edit manuscripts in the order they were received.
2. If you’d rather not pay for a full edit but you want me to look over your work, you can opt for my Proofreading Service.
3. Due to time constraints, I can’t offer to read or review manuscripts without doing an edit or a proofread.
Proofreading consists only of a very light line edit (obvious punctuation errors, spelling or wrong-word errors, reverse constructions or verbs that do not indicate a form of utterance in tag lines, obvious tense shifts and so on). Proofreading does not include any sort of content edit, although if something pops out at me I will imbed a comment containing any concerns.
I will proofread any original (not scanned-in) manuscript for .0075 (3/4 of one cent per word). For example, if your manuscript is exactly 40,000 words, the fee would be $260; if your manuscript is 80,000 words, the fee would be $520.
I will proofread any scanned-in manuscript for .01 (one cent per word). (This process requires removing various artifacts left behind by the scanning process.) If your scanned-in manuscript is 40,000 words, the fee would be $340. If it’s 80,000 words, the fee would be $680. Note: Again, this is proofreading only.
Note: I offer this service only in conjunction with a paid edit or proofread. I will eformat any manuscript that I edited or proofread for an additional $60. You will receive the original manuscript showing all edits and comments, a clean manuscript with the edits applied and the comments removed, and two copies of a clean manuscript correctly formatted for submission to Amazon.com and Smashwords. I can also submit the work to Amazon and/or Smashwords for an extra $20. (You must provide a promo document with a short & long description, categories, Internet search keywords, and a bio.)
NOTE: To format only (no editing or proofreading desired or required) or for ebook conversion service, please see my Conversion Services Page.
BENEFIT FROM HARVEY’S EXPERIENCE FREE: SUBSCRIBE TO THE BLOG TODAY