Editing & Proofreading Services
now offering either a Full Edit or Proofreading
When I edit your manuscript, I don’t just correct what’s wrong; I teach you why it’s wrong and howto make it better.
My whole goal is to help you improve your craft. I don’t teach you the same tired old rules.
Through comments imbedded in your manuscript, I teach you the reasons behind the rules.
The first step: a free sample edit
To get started, send your complete manuscript via email as an attachment in MS Word (.docx, .doc, or .rtf) to email@example.com.
A sample edit is a full, complete edit of a few pages. I’ll get your sample edit back to you usually the same day. If I believe your manuscript needs a Full Edit (some don’t) and if I’m interested, I’ll offer to edit for you at a low per-word fee. I’m extremely good at what I do. I won’t offer a service your manuscript doesn’t need.
A full edit consists of both line editing (punctuation, spelling, grammar, sentence structure, etc.) and content editing. Because I strive to preserve the writer’s voice, I seldom do any rewriting; instead, I imbed comments containing recommendations. To keep my prices low, I provide a full edit only for those manuscripts I would like to read personally. To increase the chance that your manuscript will be one of those, please follow these brief guidelines:
- Novel, memoir or short fiction collections only, please
- Absolutely NO present-tense narrative, regardless of genre or which fad is currently in fashion
- Absolutely NO rough drafts (e.g., manuscripts replete with spelling errors, comma splices and/or run-on sentences
- I reserve the right to reject any job or any manuscript for any reason.
1. When I accept a manuscript for editing, it goes into a queue. I edit manuscripts in the order they were received.
2. If you’d rather not pay for a full edit but you want me to look over your work, you can opt for my Proofreading Service.
3. Due to time constraints, I can’t offer to read or review manuscripts without doing an edit or a proofread.
Proofreading consists only of a very light line edit (obvious punctuation errors, spelling or wrong-word errors, and so on). Proofreading does not include any sort of content edit, although if something pops out at me I will imbed a comment containing any concerns.
I will proofread any original (not scanned-in) manuscript for .0065 of one cent per word. For example, if your manuscript is exactly 40,000 words, the fee would be $260; if your manuscript is 80,000 words, the fee would be $520.
I will proofread any scanned-in manuscript for .0085). If your scanned-in manuscript is 40,000 words, the fee would be $340. If it’s 80,000 words, the fee would be $680.
I will eformat any paid edit or proofread for an additional $90. If I edited the mansucript, you will receive the original manuscript showing all edits and comments, a “clean” manuscript with the edits applied and the comments removed, and a “clean” manuscript correctly formatted for submission to Amazon.com. An extra copy formatted for submission to Smashwords is $40.
BENEFIT FROM HARVEY’S EXPERIENCE FREE: SUBSCRIBE TO THE BLOG TODAY