Copyediting, Proofreading & Ebook Conversion
Full content & line editing or proofreading, including imbedded instructional comments
The first step: a free sample edit
To get started, send your complete manuscript via email as an attachment in MS Word (.docx, .doc, or .rtf) to Harvey@harveystanbrough.com.
(Note: novel, memoir or short fiction collections only)
A sample edit is a full, complete edit of a few pages. I’ll get your sample edit back to you usually the same day. If I believe your manuscript needs a full edit (some don’t) and if I’m interested, I’ll offer to edit for you at a low per-word fee. I’m extremely good at what I do. I won’t offer a service your manuscript doesn’t need.
A copyedit consists of line editing (punctuation, spelling, grammar, sentence structure, syntax), voice, pacing and flow. If content problems pop out at me, I imbed comments containing recommendations. To keep my prices low, I provide a full copyedit only for those manuscripts I would like to read personally. To increase the chance that your manuscript will be one of those, please follow these brief guidelines:
- Novel, memoir or short fiction collections only, please
- Absolutely NO present-tense narrative, regardless of genre or which fad is currently in fashion
- I reserve the right to reject any job or any manuscript for any reason.
1. When I accept a manuscript for editing, it goes into a queue. I edit manuscripts in the order they were received.
2. If you’d rather not pay for a full edit but you want me to look over your work, you can opt for my Proofreading Service (below).
3. Due to time constraints, I can’t offer to read or review manuscripts without doing a paid edit or proofread.
Proofreading consists only of a very light line edit (obvious punctuation errors, spelling or wrong-word errors, reverse constructions or verbs that do not indicate a form of utterance in tag lines, obvious tense shifts and so on).
I will proofread any original (not scanned-in) manuscript for .008 (4/5 of one cent) per word. For example, if your manuscript is exactly 40,000 words, the fee would be $320; if your manuscript is 80,000 words, the fee would be $640. Please don’t ask me for a reduced rate. I’m very good at what I do, and I have to make a living.
I no longer offer proofreading on scanned-in manuscripts.
Eformatting & Ebook Conversion Service
This is inexpensive, expert conversion of your Microsoft Word document into Kindle, Nook/Apple/Sony, and PDF. I provide this service only with paid edits or proofreads.
Fiction, Memoir, Short Story and Essay Collections, Poetry1
Single undivided work, no TOC (e.g., sections/chapters divided by * * * )
Single divided work (e.g., sections/chapters titled )
Interactive Table of Contents (TOC)2 (note: this is in addition to above cost)
Poetry or flash fiction collections only (plus TOC item fees)
Graphic insertion/resizing (any photos, charts, graphs, scanned images, etc.)
$60 (includes Nuclear Option3)
$80 (includes Nuclear Option)
1 I don’t format nonfiction works that require footnotes, endnotes, etc.
2Table of Contents (TOC):
* If your book is divided only by numbered (not named) chapters, Smashwords will create a TOC for you automatically. No charge.
* If your book is divided by named chapters or other named parts or divisions, a hand-crafted interactive TOC is required at $1.25 per item.
* If you publish only to Amazon, a TOC is not required unless your book is a collection.
3Nuclear Option: To strip all unnecessary Word formatting, I will copy/paste your document into a text editor, then copy/paste it back into a new Word document and replace all necessary formatting (italics, bold, etc.).
What You Get: Two Microsoft Word .doc files (one for submission to Amazon and other independent venues, and one for submission to Smashwords) and one ebook file each in Kindle, Nook/Apple/Sony and PDF formats.
Revisions or Updates: My work is guaranteed. I will revise, free of charge, any formatting that causes any major problems in your ebook (e.g., non-admittance into the Smashwords Premium Catalogue, rejection by Amazon or other major booksellers). However, elective, author-mandated text or formatting revisions or updates are $50 each, prepaid.
Additional services: I will also submit the work to your account(s) at Amazon and/or Smashwords for an extra $20 per venue. (You must provide a promo document with a short & long description, categories, Internet search keywords, and a bio.)
Fee is payable in advance via check or PayPal. (You do not have to sign up for PayPal to pay via credit card through PayPal.)
If you have any questions, please email me at Harvey@HarveyStanbrough.com.