Fees: If I accept your work for editing, the fee will be .01 (one cent) per word or less. (The industry standard is around .02 [two cents] per word.)
- For example, for 5,000 words, the fee is $50 or less. For 10,000 words, the fee is $100 or less.
- If your work is very well written and clean, I may offer you a lower rate.
What I Do: A copyedit consists of detailed reading for (and correcting or recommending corrections to) anything that might interrupt the reading of your work. This includes but is not limited to
- punctuation, spelling and wrong-word usage
- grammar and syntax, including obviously accidental shifts in verb tense
- pacing and flow (primarily reparagraphing to improve pacing)
- redundant narrative (recommendations only)
- consistency in hyphenation, numerals, fonts, and capitalization
- consistency in character names, clothing, scene details, etc.
- anything else that might confuse or otherwise interrupt the reader
How I Do It: I use a Microsoft Word feature called Track Changes.
- Any deletions will be in red strikethrough. Any additions will be in blue underline.
- If I feel the need to explain an edit or make a recommendation, I will do so through the use of an imbedded comment in a yellow box out to the side.
- If I feel a need to ask a question (very seldom) I will communicate with you via email.
- I’m famous for retaining author voice. I do not do rewrites. I don’t even rewrite my own work, so why would I rewrite yours?
- When I finish the edit, I will return to you one copy showing all the edits and comments and one copy with all the edits applied and the comments removed. That will be your “clean” copy.
Please Read These Notes
- Fiction, memoir, creative nonfiction or fiction collections only, please.
- Complete works only, please. No matter what they say, nobody can copy edit a work piecemeal and ensure a quality copyedit.
- Five thousand words minimum. (I’ll copy edit shorter works, but the minimum fee is $25.)
- I prefer payment in advance via PayPal. (You do not have to have a PayPal account to pay via credit card through PayPal.) If you need to schedule payments, Email Me. To pay by check, make it payable to Mona Stanbrough and mail it to PO Box 604, St. David AZ 85630.
- Want your work eEformatted too? Let me know up front. If I copyedit your work, the additional fee for eformatting is only $25.
- If I edit for you and you choose to reject more than 10% of my edits, you are not authorized to use my name as your official copyeditor.
- I reserve the right to reject any job or any manuscript for any reason.
To get started, send your complete manuscript via email as an attachment in MS Word (.docx, .doc, or .rtf) to Harvey@harveystanbrough.com.