I’m a professional fiction writer. I’ve written 28 novels, over 180 short stories, hundreds of poems and over a dozen nonfiction books on writing. My work has been nominated for the National Book Award and several other major awards.
As a copyeditor, I will not change your style or your voice. I will do my best to make your work read smoothly. For more on that, please see “What I Do” below.
Fees: If I accept your work for editing, the fee will be .01 (one cent) per word or less. (The industry standard is .02 [two cents] or more per word.)
- For example, for 5,000 words, my fee is $50 or less. For 10,000 words, my fee is $100 or less.
- If your work is very well written and clean, I may offer you a lower rate.
- If I feel you don’t need my services as a copyeditor, I’ll tell you that.
What I Do: A copyedit consists of detailed reading for anything that might interrupt the reading of your work. This includes but is not limited to checking and correcting
- punctuation, spelling and wrong-word usage
- grammar and syntax, including obviously accidental shifts in verb tense
- redundant narrative (I make recommendations only)
- consistency in hyphenation, numerals, fonts, and capitalization
- consistency in character names, clothing, scene details, etc.
- anything else that might confuse or otherwise interrupt the reader
- pacing and flow (primarily reparagraphing to improve pacing)
How I Do It: I use a Microsoft Word feature called Track Changes.
- Any deletions will be in red strikethrough. Any additions will be in blue underline.
- If I feel the need to explain an edit or make a recommendation, I will do so through the use of an imbedded comment in a yellow box out to the side.
- If I feel a need to ask a question (very seldom) I will communicate with you via email.
- I’m famous for retaining author voice. I do not do rewrites.
- When I finish the edit, I will return to you one copy showing all the edits and comments and one copy with all the edits applied and the comments removed. That will be your “clean” copy.
Please Read These Notes
- I accept only fiction, memoir, creative nonfiction or fiction collections for editing. No poetry, please. Your poetry is probably fine as-is. Spell check it and publish it.
- Complete works only, please. No matter what they say, nobody can copy edit a work piecemeal and ensure a quality copyedit.
- Five thousand words minimum. (I’ll copy edit shorter works, but for those the minimum fee is one cent per word, paid in advance.)
- I prefer payment in advance via PayPal. (You do not have to have a PayPal account to pay via credit card through PayPal.) If you need to schedule payments, Email Me. To pay by check, make it payable to Mona Stanbrough and mail it to PO Box 604, St. David AZ 85630.
- Want your work eformatted too? Let me know up front. If I copyedit your work, the additional fee for eformatting is only $25. I don’t do eformatting separately.
- If I edit for you and you choose to reject more than 10% of my edits, you are not authorized to use my name in your book or otherwise as your official copyeditor.
- I reserve the right to reject any job or any manuscript for any reason.
- Because I’ve been burned in the past, please be sure you want my services. NO REFUNDS. If you have any questions about any of the above, please ask.
To get started, send your complete manuscript via email as an attachment in MS Word (.docx, .doc, or .rtf) to Harvey@harveystanbrough.com.