Taking a little break today for a short post and some fun. At least I hope you’ll find it fun.
“Aphorism” is defined by dictionary.com as “a short pithy saying expressing a general truth.” My aphorisms sometimes come out as definitions (ala Ambrose Bierce) and are most often satirical. Here are a dozen of mine. Remember, these are tongue in cheek:
- apology, n. A device intended to soothe wounds and thereby put a victim off his guard; a precursor to the next offense.
- arrogance, n. ignorance advertised.
- common sense, n. A myth. What’s common to some is obviously a luxury to most.
- human, n. 1. The most conceited animal on earth, unjustifiably so.
- intellectual, n. 1. One who will drive a Hummer six blocks to a Save the Ozone rally. 2. A closet tuna-eater.
- intolerance, n. Proof of an atrophied mind and a lazy disposition.
- kindness, n. An imagined effect created by hopeful expectation. The act itself never issues forth from one whose lips the word has crossed, except to convey superiority.
- opinion, n. Offered as it is from a single point of view, a meaningless group of words to anyone but the author.
- patience, n. A pliable substance that wears thin when it’s most needed.
- protestor, n. 1. One who exercises the right to dissent, provided him by a patriot, against whom he most often dissents. 2. One who, lacking a cause, will create a posterboard sign decrying the lack of causes and picket the nearest conservative.
- question, n. Because it stirs thought, the only truly important grouping of words in any language.
- victim, n. In our society, the person held responsible for the crime perpetuated against him.
And a few straight aphorisms:
- Failure is only practice for success.
- The right to free speech does not include the right to an audience.
- The one thing I cannot tolerate is intolerance.
How about you? Do you write aphorisms? It’s a fun exercise and a great way to keep the brain pan lubricated.
‘Til next time, happy writing.
Note: If you find something of value in these posts or on this website, consider dropping a tip into Harvey’s Tip Jar on your way out or just click paypal.me/harveystanbrough. If you’ve already contributed, thanks so much. If you can’t make a monetary donation, please consider forwarding this post to a friend or several. (grin) Again, thank you.
1 thought on “Fun with Aphorisms”
No, I don’t write aphorisms. But I certainly enjoyed this list. So true, I am laughing out loud.
Comments are closed.